What is P.A.S.S.?
P.A.S.S. is a support group at Far Horizons Montessori School, made up of the parents or our students. Its mission is to help promote a positive atmosphere at the school and to assist the administration in fundraising and volunteer activities. Parents are asked to join P.A.S.S. if they have the time to do so, but membership is certainly on a volunteer basis.
Our group was created in 1984 by parents just like yourself. It was designated as a 501 group. Therefore, all donations and contributions may be tax deductible.
Why is it important to get involved?
1. Your child benefits. When parents get connected to the school, children do better. Research shows that children whose parents are involved get better grades, do better on tests, and have fewer discipline problems at school.
2. We make a difference. We want to create the kind of school community where teachers and administrators can do their best work – and so can our children. We provide support for teachers in and out of the classroom. We provide resources they need. We help create learning opportunities for children, and we build the kind of supportive, caring atmosphere that makes school fun.
3. We pledge to honor your time constraints. People are often reluctant to participate because they’re afraid they’ll get pulled into a black hole of never-ending time commitment. That won’t happen here. An hour or two really makes a difference and we won’t push you to commit more than you want to or are able to.
4. We have fun. Volunteer work shouldn’t be drudgery. We try to accomplish a lot, and not everything we do is easy, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously and we enjoy ourselves along the way.
5. Meet nice people who share your concerns. We all have a common bond: we care about creating the best possible educational experience for our children.
6. We can match jobs to your interests and abilities. The work we do covers a broad spectrum, from organizing an event or presenting a topic to students, to taking photos or working with computers.
7. We’re welcoming. To us, there are no “outsiders.” We are people who have come together to work toward common goals. We couldn’t be happier to have you join us.
8. We’re about parent involvement, not fundraising. Like schools everywhere, we do need to execute fundraisers. However, our number one goal is to get more parents connected to the school. That’s because research studies show that building parent involvement in education is the number one thing we can do to create a great school and improve student performance.
PASS has a designated email address, FHMPass@gmail.com, to keep you updated on upcoming meetings and events, as well as to answer any questions you may have.